Add Log Entry
  • Authenticate
  • General Info
  • Images
  • Preview
Enter Credentials
Username: *
Password: *
Part(s) Management
  • Authenticate
  • Parts
Enter Credentials
Username: *
Password: *
Empenage Build Section



Build Log Entries
  • "The big cut"
    Date: 10/13/2013
    Helper:
    Hours: 1.0
    Section: Empenage
    Sub-Section: Tailcone
    ManualRef:
    Log #: 185

    Tonight I ventured off plans and made my first modification. I cut NACA vent holes on the tailcone. The purpose is to attach air scoops that will eventually provide fresh air to the cabin via an overhead console. The first thing I did was use a scrap piece and laid the scoop cut out that Vans provided. After I was satisfied with how it looked I measured a few inches from the front bulkhead (closest to the baggage area) and centred between the rows of longerons. Once I was satisfied with the location I made the cut with a dremmel. Lastly I used sand paper to smooth things out and made sure there were no burrs. It was actually a very simple mod.

    I will be picking up the wings soon!! Crazy to think that I am moving on to the next big section. Now I have to figure out the space situation in the shop.
  • Bonehead move
    Date: 10/08/2013
    Helper:
    Hours: 1.0
    Section: Empenage
    Sub-Section: Tailcone Attach
    ManualRef: 11-5
    Log #: 184

    I think it is time to stop trying to do things out of order and go back to my slow and methodical process. As I was fitting the VS I realized that I had counter sunk the spar on the wrong side. After talking to Vans about it they told me to put an AN3 bolt then sand the rudder fairing so the bolts don't rub.
    On a happier news I got confirmation that my wings will be ready for pick up soon! I think my next step will be to cut the NACALA vent holes on the tailcone.
  • Long productive day.
    Date: 09/29/2013
    Helper:
    Hours: 3.0
    Section: Empenage
    Sub-Section: Tailcone Attach
    ManualRef: 11-2;3;8
    Log #: 183

    The day started out by realizing that I used AN470s instead of AN426s on the trim tray. Started to drill them out and then decided to switch gears. So Matt came over and helped me fit the elevators. It took a little while to get the bolts through the rod end bearings. Once we got them on I used a protractor and a the elevators went 45 degrees up and 30 down. I don't know if that is right because the instructions say full up 30degrees. So to sure if that means it at most can go up to 30 degrees or at least 30 degrees.

    We then decided to go ahead and attach the horizontal stabilazior. When match drilling the elevators the doubler moved and had to remake the doubler. Luckily I had enough scrap material that was the same material and replaced it. Bottom line I attached the horizontal stabilator with the help of Matt!